Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Life in Perspective

Here is an email from a girl I traveled with in Up With People in 1983 - nearly 27 years ago.

She refers to Camp Pendleton. During 1983, our cast spent a week on that base.

Also, after her letter are the lyrcis to a song that another cast members posted. It is written about the same topic…

Getting letters like this, in which it makes the war so real, because someone knows about the real person, make the war all that much more real.

And it makes me appreciate the freedoms that we have.

 

From: Leann Illig [mailto:leann88888@msn.com]

Larry, the son of one of my best friends, was killed last week, 7/1/10, in Afghanistan.  He tripped a roadside bomb while carrying an injured Marine to safety.  He was successful: his friend survived. 
 
His wife of just 3 months is in a news video I just watched, filmed at my friend's house in Colorado.  Stacia was reminiscing about her first kiss, which was with Larry, when she was 14.  
 
So young - Larry was born on 8-8-85.  8-8-58 is my birthday.  His mom is my Godmother, though she is younger than I am. 

 

I learned that God is real, not just a great idea, only a decade+ ago.  She's a preacher's kid and has been knowingly walking with the Lord all her life.  I am grateful that her faith will help her now.  
 
Larry began his Marine career in Camp Pendleton.  I sure could envision him there!  Wasn't that a fun and enriching time we E83ers had on that base?! 
 
Larry was a great singer, rapper, dancer, drummer.  He'd have been a great addition to UWP. 
 
He was a terrific friend to me and to my daughter, as a child and as an adult.
 
Steve, I'll save those lyrics for his wife.  She may need them.

Love~
 
Leann

 

From Steve - some lyrics to a song…



....This is brand new out of nashville....a well written song about life and faith....

 

 

 

Amy's got the letters I wrote
My picture in a frame
She's had a year to let go
She still wears my ring
It hasn't left her finger since the night that I proposed
When I promised her forever before I took her home
But I never made it home that night
A part of her died too
I watched her losing her mind
And there's nothing I can do
Yea sometimes she goes crazy screaming out my name
Saying baby please come and save me
I wish she knew I'd do anything

To kiss the tears right off her face
Tell her everything's ok
Feel her heart beat next to mine
And make up for lost time
Oh but God I know I can't
You can't let her live this way
It's too late for saving me
But there's still hope for saving Amy

Now 3 years have gone by
She's trying to live her life
And I still watch her sometimes
Just to make sure she's alright
She knows I'll always be there
In her heart and in her dreams
Cause God, I promised her forever and that's one promise I intend to keep

To kiss the tears right off her face
Tell her everything's' ok
Feel her heartbeat next to mine
Make up for lost time
Oh but god I know I can't
But you can't let her live this way
It's too late for saving me
But there's still hope for saving Amy
Saving Amy

I'll kiss the tears right off her face
When I walk her through these gates
Feel her heartbeat next to mine
Make up for lost time
God I thank you everyday
For giving a her that ounce of faith
That led her right back here to me
And most of all for saving Amy
Saving Amy
Thank you god for saving Amy


 
 

----------------------------------------

No comments:

5 THINGS TO GO LOOK AT!

1. NEW BLOG from ANDY EKSTROM
2. LATEST updates on Rick on Facebook
3. MY FAVORITE DESSERT ever!
4. 20 SONGS I am listening to - and you can download!
5. My blog about my wonderful grandmother GEORGIA!