Saturday, January 2, 2010

DID YOU KISS SOMEONE?

Did you kiss someone on New Years Eve?
I received a text message from a good friend. She said, “I hope you go out and find someone to kiss.”

Not that I mind kissing. But isn’t it a funny thing that I have gone for a few years without being in a series relationship, or even that romantic, and a friend sends me a text from many time zones away, wishing me a chance to kiss someone.

I thought about running over to my neighbors house, knocking on the door – and just kissing her. Saying thank you. And then coming back home – and continuing my cave time in preparing for 2010.

The math is interesting. With over 50% of the population single, it means that half the population feels some urgent need to run out and kiss someone on New Years. That is a lot of pressure for one night – for one sixty second moment in time.

It started me wondering, “Where did this trend start?”

The net provided me with an answer: “The custom of the kiss can be traced back to the Ancient Roman festival of Saturnalia, and observances around the Winter Solstice at year end. Later, the New Year's Eve kiss would come to beseen as a barometer for things to come. In old English and German legends, the first person you came in contact with when the bells chimed midnight, be it a familiar friend or just an acquaintance, set the tone for your happiness and fortune in the coming year. A kiss with one you loved ensured good tidings, but to have to kiss someone less favorable, or not kiss anyone at all, would mean misfortune in the upcoming year.”

Oh those wild and crazy Romans!

But if you think about it – why risk it? Why not just kiss your own hand? Then, it is up to you to make fortune for the coming year.

I thought about walking up to a mirror and kissing myself. That sounded a bit odd. I toasted to myself and the upcoming year instead.

How about you? Did you kiss someone?

Will you end up with great fortune – or misfortune?

And one last question. Why do people close their eyes when they kiss? Perhaps they don’t want to actually “see” their fortune or misfortune!

No comments:

5 THINGS TO GO LOOK AT!

1. NEW BLOG from ANDY EKSTROM
2. LATEST updates on Rick on Facebook
3. MY FAVORITE DESSERT ever!
4. 20 SONGS I am listening to - and you can download!
5. My blog about my wonderful grandmother GEORGIA!